Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"thou shalt not vs. I will"

I am not sure about all of you but I have lived most of my life thinking that God was angry or disappointed in me. In doing so I avoided getting close to him because I was embarrassed or ashamed or felt unworthy of his love. The other reaction that would occur is that when I would fall I would run and hide from him thus making the problem worse because I would try to fix it instead of trusting in Gods love and grace. Many people like myself believed that God is a God of love, but at the same time believ that God would get mad at me and could perhaps bring his wrath down on me or lift is loving hand of protection based on my personal failures. This is crazy and confused teaching and does not represent how God really feels about us based on the new testament. This thinking is clearly old testament and based on the LAW.
God is not sometimes good and sometimes mean, sometimes happy and sometimes mad, or sometimes loves us and sometimes does not!!! We think that God is happy with us when we do good and angry when we do wrong. This is completely wrong but unfortunately a belief of many of us. Under the Law God demanded righteousness from man, but under grace God provided righteousness for us. Under law, everything depended on man and his obedience, but under grace everything depends on Jesus and what he did on the cross. The law demands but wont get up and help us but grace has already done everything for us!! Hallelujah!!
In Exodus 20 the Lord said around 20 times orders of "thou shalt not" as compared to what the Lord sais in the new covenant in the book of Hebrews. 8 "For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. 9Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. 10 For this [is] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." so Basically the old testament law was full of shalt nots and the new testament is full of I WILLs.
Isnt this amazing!!! I think again that so many of us have this image of an old man with a beard and long hair. Sometimes happy and sometimes very angry. I am choosing, and would encourage you all, to create an image of God as just one simple word. LOVE. Perhaps the image of a loving gentle Jesus would be better for all of us. After all Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit are actually the trinity as one!!! Hollywood and church history has painted God in an image of an angry wrathful old man when in reality he/she is a gentle caring embodiment of love itself. first John 4:8 "God is love"
God is present tense love!!! You are forgiven already!! Stop being robbed of an intimate, open and loving relationship with God. Instead of avoiding him when we fail, lets just trust in him and know that he loves us anyways and is always here for us. His grace is greater than all our failures. Thank you God!! Your love and mercy brings me to my knees, fills my eyes with tears and makes me long to be closer to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment